My lab investigates how people make decisions to dissent, to interact across group boundaries, and to do other good things. Our research is funded by the National Science Foundation, the John Templeton Foundation, the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, and a Collaborative Opportunity Research Grant from Lehigh University.
I currently serve as an Associate Editor at the British Journal of Social Psychology, and the Journal of Applied Social Psychology.
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Ethics and Morality
- Group Processes
- Intergroup Relations
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Neuroscience, Psychophysiology
- Persuasion, Social Influence
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Self and Identity
- Social Cognition
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Baccus, J. R., Baldwin, M. W., & Packer, D. J. (2004). Increasing implicit self-esteem through classical conditioning. Psychological Science, 15, 498-502.
- Cunningham, W. A., Zelazo, P. D., Packer, D. J., & Van Bavel, J. J. (2007). The iterative reprocessing model: A multi-level framework for attitudes and evaluation. Social Cognition, 25, 736-760.
- Packer, D. J. (2010). The interactive influence of Conscientiousness and Openness to Experience on dissent. Social Influence, 5, 202-219.
- Packer, D. J. (2009). Avoiding groupthink: Whereas weak identifiers remain silent, strong identifiers dissent about collective problems. Psychological Science, 20, 546-548.
- Packer, D. J. (2008). Identifying systematic disobedience in Milgram's obedience experiments: A meta-analytic review. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 4, 301-304.
- Packer, D. J. (2008). On being both with us and against us: A normative conflict model of dissent in social groups. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 12, 50-72.
- Packer, D. J., & Chasteen, A. L. (2010). Loyal deviance: Testing the normative conflict model of dissent in social groups. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 36, 5-18.
- Packer, D. J., & Chasteen, A. L. (2006). Looking to the future: How possible aged selves influence prejudice toward older adults. Social Cognition, 24, 218-247.
- Packer, D. J., Chasteen, A. L., & Kang, S. K. (2011). Facing social identity change: Interactive effects of current and projected collective identification on expectations regarding future self-esteem and psychological well-being. British Journal of Social Psychology, 50, 414-430.
- Packer, D. J., & Cunningham, W. A. (2009). Neural correlates of reflection on goal states: The role of regulatory focus and temporal distance. Social Neuroscience, 4, 412-425.
- Packer, D. J., Fujita, K., & Chasteen, A. L. (in press). The motivational dynamics of dissent decisions: A goal conflict approach. Social Psychological and Personality Science.
- Packer, D. J., Fujita, K., & Herman, S. (in press). Rebels with a cause: A goal conflict approach to understanding when conscientious people dissent. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology.
- Packer, D. J., & Miners, C. T. H. (in press). Tough love: The normative conflict model of dissent. Social and Personality Psychology Compass.
- Packer, D. J., & Miners, C. T. H. (2012). At the first sign of trouble or through thick and thin? When dissent is and is not disengagement from a group. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 48, 316-322.
- Remedios, J., Chasteen, A. L., & Packer, D. J. (2010). Sunny side up: The reliance on positive age stereotypes in descriptions of future aged selves. Self and Identity, 9, 257-275.
- Van Bavel, J. J., Packer, D. J., & Cunningham, W. A. (2011). Modulation of Fusiform Face Area following minimal exposure to motivationally-relevant faces: Evidence of in-group enhancement (not out-group disregard). Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 23, 3343-3354.
- Van Bavel, J. J., Packer, D. J., & Cunningham, W. A. (2008). The neural substrates of ingroup bias: An fMRI investigation. Psychological Science, 19, 1131-1139.
- Cunningham, W. A., Packer, D. J., Kesek, A., & Van Bavel, J. J. (2009). Implicit measures of attitudes: A physiological approach. In R. E. Petty, R. H. Fazio, & P. Brinol (Eds.), Attitudes: Insights from the New Implicit Measures. New York: Psychology Press.
- Packer, D. J. (2011). The dissenter's dilemma, and a social identity solution. In J. Jetten & M. J. Hornsey (Eds.), Rebels in Groups: Dissent, Deviance, Difference, and Defiance. Malden, MA: Wiley- Blackwell.
- Packer, D. J., Kesek, A., & Cunningham, W. A. (2011). Self-regulation and evaluative processing. In A. Todorov, S. Fiske, & D. Prentice (Eds.), Social Neuroscience: Toward Understanding the Underpinnings of the Social Mind. Oxford University Press.
Department of Psychology
17 Memorial Drive East
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania 18015
- Phone: (613) 758-6779
- Fax: (613) 758-6277